Photo Credit: Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce / Leadership Chattanooga
Published February 10, 2021
Chattanooga, TN – The Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce opened nominations yesterday for the Leadership Chattanooga Class of 2021-22.
The ten-month leadership development program, established in 1984, aims to give local, mid-career professionals opportunities to learn about and engage with the community where they live and work.
Another stated goal is to help employers retain talent.
Every month, the participants of the program will meet to explore various aspects of leadership and challenges facing the Chattanooga community.
A maximum of 40 people is selected to participate in Leadership Chattanooga each year.
According to the Leadership Chattanooga Selection Committee, the participants are selected based on their own merit through an application process conducted by the Committee.
The Committee states that their evaluation of candidates is based on:
• Sincere commitment, motivation and interest in serving the community
• Demonstrated dedication to civic engagement through past volunteer activities
• Interest in public service through seeking elected office, volunteering for a nonprofit board or other key leadership role
• Recognized potential for career advancement to top leadership positions
• Alignment with the diversity of the Chattanooga area community through representation of diverse economic sectors, professions, viewpoints, ages, cultural perspectives, ethnic backgrounds and geographical areas throughout Hamilton County
Leadership Chattanooga states that the program, presented by the Chattanooga Chamber Foundation, provides comprehensive leadership training through:
• Monthly meetings exploring various aspects of leadership and challenges facing the Chattanooga area community
• Experiential learning opportunities including a police ride along
• Interaction with the community’s top leadership, including meeting with state leaders in Nashville
• Community service projects and networking
According to Leadership Chattanooga, class members will also receive additional leadership opportunities through “meaningful self-reflection and peer coaching.”
Due to the era of COVID-19, all the monthly sessions, including the orientation and retreat, are currently planned as virtual meetings.
Chattanooga Chamber leadership have stated that they will monitor health department recommendations to determine when an in-person session can safely be held.
Applications for the Leadership Chattanooga Class of 2021-2022 will open and be accepted from March 8 to March 31.
Nominations are open now after the upon completion of the nomination form, the nominee will receive the application to apply on or after March 8, 2021.
Tuition for the program is $2,900 per participant and is due by July 30, 2021.
The Chamber states that, “The participant’s employer or sponsoring organization generally covers the cost of the program, with the participant contributing the first $100 of tuition.”
However, financial assistance is available and to be considered, the applicant must complete the financial assistance forms included in the application.
Payment plan options are also available.
For those accepted to the program, attendance at the Orientation and Retreat is mandatory.
Participants who miss more than two of nine monthly sessions must withdraw from the program with no portion of tuition refunded.
• Nominations due: March 7
• Applications due: April 1
• Orientation: Afternoon of Aug. 5 – *Mandatory*
• Retreat: Aug. 19-20 – *Mandatory*
• Monthly meetings held on Thursday, once a month Sept. – May