Photo Credit: American Red Cross
The Tennessee Conservative Staff –
The blood supply in the United States is dangerously low – an uncommon occurrence for this time of year.
It is safe to donate blood and all eligible individuals, including those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine, are encouraged by the American Red Cross to make an appointment to donate blood or platelets now to ensure that blood products will be available for all patients when needed.
According to the American Red Cross, “Blood centers across the country are currently reporting low blood supplies as the Delta variant continues to spread. With the recent COVID-19 case surge and the busy back-to-school period, some blood collection organizations are experiencing an abnormal decline in donor turnout; others are experiencing blood drive cancellations at schools and businesses limiting the number of individuals allowed onsite as a precautionary pandemic practice.”
These collection challenges have disrupted the nation’s blood supply, resulting in concerningly low inventories of life-saving blood products across the country for patients in need.
Fall is typically a time when the blood supply is more stable and according to the American Red Cross, “If the nation’s blood supply does not stabilize soon, hospitals may be forced to alter treatment for some patients or cancel some patient surgeries. Blood donations are needed now to help maintain optimal care for all patients.”
***Click HERE to support Conservative Journalism in Tennessee. We can’t cover stories like this without your support!***
AABB, America’s Blood Centers and the American Red Cross are joining together to urge eligible, healthy individuals to contact their local blood center and make an appointment to donate blood. Doing so is essential to maintaining the stability of the nation’s blood supply, which ensures life-saving medical treatments are available for patients.
Today and through the coming months, blood collection organizations across the nation need the support and generosity of blood donors to help save lives.
In Chattanooga, there are several locations where blood donations can be given.
Blood Assurance Locations:
- 4998, 1920 Northpoint Blvd # 122, Hixson, TN 37343 – phone (423) 876-5289
- 1748 Gunbarrel Rd #104, Chattanooga, TN 37421 – phone (423) 893-7454
- 705 E 4th Street, Chattanooga, TN 37403 – phone (423) 756-0966
CSL Plasma Locations:
- 1501 Riverside Dr Suite 110, Chattanooga, TN 37406 – phone (423) 624-5555
- 2809 E 50th St, Chattanooga, TN 37407 – phone (423) 826-4040
- E 39th St, Chattanooga, TN 37407
- 3569 Brainerd Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37411 – phone (423) 402-9434
American Red Cross:
- 4115 S Access Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37406 – phone (423) 265-3455
Or contact one of the following local organizations to schedule an appointment to donate:
- AABB: www.aabb.org; +1.301.907.6977
- America’s Blood Centers: www.americasblood.org; +1.202.393.5725
- American Red Cross: www.RedCrossBlood.org; +1.800.733.2767
The American Red Cross also states that “our nation needs individuals, schools, businesses, and other community organizations to host a blood drive. Blood drives are critically important to provide local blood donation opportunities and to bring communities together to help save lives.”